Can I get paid to take care of a relative with autism?

A family member with severe autism can require a full-time caregiver at home.  Parents or siblings may miss too much work going to various doctor’s appointments, therapy, and dealing with the many small crises that can come up last minute.  Often it seems the only solution is to stop working and care for your relative full time.  But can you get paid to provide these services?

This is a complicated question and the answer varies depending on the state in which you live.  The first thing you want to do is apply for your relative to receive Supplementary Security Income (SSI) or disability income at your local social services office.  This can provide some income that can alleviate some caregiving costs.  Then, you can apply for in-home services for your relative. Depending on where you live, you can then train to become an in-home services caregiver and get paid a little to take care of your own relative.  Additionally, it is possible that you could get paid to care for your relative through his or her insurance company, if it provides for in-home services for disabilities.

The only way to really know is to find the specific programs your state provides for citizens who need caregivers.  Unfortunately, applying for benefits through state programs can be tricky.  It may help to look for a local autism support group because members may know or take advantage of state services.  Or check about resources available in your state.

Read on, “Assistance For Children With Autism

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *